Monday, December 15, 2014

Solar Kiln Update

Five days out from the time I first put white oak firewood in my kiln, I checked on it to see the progress, if any. At first glance, I noticed moisture on the inside of the plastic sheeting that covers my kiln, where the sun had drawn out of the split oak. The wood seems to be drying out fairly quick, although the sun isn't as hot at this time of year. Tomorrow I will be adding a mix of poplar, and yellow pine to the kiln for observation.
If you look closely, you can see the moisture droplets on the plastic
Photo by Chris Swanson
I want to see the effectiveness of the kiln, and how efficient it is with different types of firewood. Each type of firewood has a different amount of moisture content to start with so just running the experiment on one certain type of wood, would not produce the results that I'm looking for. However, if you know your wood, you could estimate the amount of time it takes one species of wood to season in comparison to another.
Photo by Chris Swanson
Aside from the sun not producing as much heat during the fall and winter seasons, I believe the kiln is operating proficiently.

Close up of the firewood inside the kiln
Photo by Chris Swanson
As always, I will continue to keep you updated on this experiment as the kiln produces results. If you have any tips or questions, please feel free to leave a comment below and I will respond as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment