Thursday, December 11, 2014

MY ATTEMPT AT A SOLAR FIREWOOD KILN

This past week I built what is, my attempt at a solar firewood kiln.
A solar kiln is a resourceful means of drying lumber or firewood, with solar energy (the sun). The way it works is by using plastic sheeting or glass to draw the sunlight in and intensify the heat, acting as a greenhouse to speed up the drying process of the lumber or firewood. During the day when the sun is out, it works to draw moisture out of the wood. The wood gets a period of rest during the nighttime hours. During those hours the wood gets time to cool down. The next day the cycle starts all over again.
I personally don't know anyone who has one or has used one. I came across the idea somewhere online and to me it made sense, so I built one.
 Above you can see how my "solar kiln" turned out. 
Photo by Chris Swanson.
I completed the construction on the kiln yesterday, and added some white oak firewood, to test the kiln. Since I currently do not have a moisture meter, I'll be conducting the experiment by sight. Being around firewood my whole life has gave me a good sense of judgment when it comes to determining whether a stick of firewood is properly seasoned and dry. I intend to add some pine to the mix as well.
Being that it is almost winter, I don't expect the solar kiln to produce the results that it would during the summer season because the sun isn't as hot.
Side view of my kiln to show the structure.
Photo by Chris Swanson
View of the firewood inside the kiln
Photo by Chris Swanson
My design is a little different than most that I've come across online. Most people install fans to help circulate air. Also it is said that if you paint the inside black, it helps to draw in sunlight and heat. The angle of the roof determines how much sunlight can get in. You will want an angle anywhere from 30-45°. 45° is most commonly used in the winter months.
Click here for more in-depth details about solar kilns if you plan to make one yourself or just want to learn more about them.
I will try my best to keep you updated as to how my experiment turns out. Hopefully it will work as planned. Please do not hesitate to leave feedback, I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment