Friday, December 12, 2014

My Evening Hunt

I ventured into the woods of predominantly hardwoods, a little after 4:00P.M., hoping that some of the bucks that I've been seeing on my trail camera, would show themselves. Throughout the day I noticed the movement of the birds and thought maybe the deer would be moving as well. As I sat down on the chilled, metal seat of my treestand, I heard some movement. As always, it was nothing more than a gray squirrel scurrying through the crisp fall leaves in search of food.
As the sun began to set, and with the temperature dropping, the squirrels rushed to find their meal for the night. Suddenly, I was distracted by the sound of hounds. I couldn't tell whether they were heading my way or not, so I patiently waited and listened.
Photo by Chris Swanson

Photo by Chris Swanson
Darkness didn't hesitate to move in, and by then my feet were getting cold. The rustling of leaves had remained throughout the evening, as a gray squirrel, at the base of an old hickory tree, searched for what's left of the hickory nuts. It was ten minutes after five, and still no sign of a white-tail. I assumed they were bedded down in the pine thicket that borders my land, so I patiently waited out the last few legal hunting minutes of the evening.
No luck getting a buck, but I did have some luck scouting squirrels, for a long awaited squirrel hunt sometime in the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment