Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Poplar Added to the Mix

Due to the rain that came in late Monday night and lasted well into Tuesday morning, I had to postpone putting poplar firewood into my solar kiln. When I went out this morning, I noticed that plastic on the roof of my kiln had formed a "bowl" and was holding water as a consequence of the rain. Apparently, I failed to pull the plastic tight when I originally constructed the kiln. Disappointed, I managed to properly fix the roof to hopefully prevent it from holding water in the future.

A few hours ago, I managed to fill the rest of the back rack, with some poplar that I had split during the day on Monday. As a result of the rainfall, the poplar became waterlogged. Hopefully, the kiln will do the trick in drying it out and prevent it from being exposed to the elements.
The back rack is full, as you can see above
Photo by Chris Swanson
Upon adding the split poplar to the mix, I noticed that the white oak is progressing, as far as drying out. Also, I inspected the solar kiln for leaks. Thankfully, there was no way for water to seep in, so that saved me the trouble of having to fix them.

Close up of the white oak
Photo by Chris Swanson

All in all, I believe the kiln is working very efficiently to dry out the firewood. However, the dryer the wood becomes, the slower the drying process becomes. Keep in mind, properly seasoned firewood will retain a percentage of its original moisture. Exaggerated drying of the wood will cause it to burn rather quickly, and hot, and could potentially cause hazards, such as chimney fires. On the contrary, wood that is NOT properly dried out, will cause creosote, in other words, tar from the wood smoke, to build up in the stove pipe and inside the chimney, therefore, increasing the probability of a chimney fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment